Reading for July 30, 2017: 1 Thessalonians 4:9-5:11
– Paul writes to the church he started in Thessaloniki, answering their big question: when will Jesus return?
– Paul wrote letters to encourage the many churches he started — sometimes from his prison cell where he had been jailed for preaching the gospel! (He would be very surprised we are still reading his mail 2000 years later!)
– Paul calls the believers adelphoi, “brothers” (like Philadelphia). How should that be translated?
* brothers and sisters
* you guys
* all y’all
– Paul barely had time to start this church before he was chased out of the city by a mob! (Acts 17:1-9)
– Jesus predicts his dramatic return in Matthew 24 — but gives no timeline.
– Scholars think the new converts were SHOCKED when believers died before Jesus’ return. They expected Jesus RIGHT NOW!
– What have you heard about the return of Jesus? What do you think is true?
Listen to the improv sermon based on this story & the congregation’s questions: