Reading: Ephesians 5:21-6:17
– After summarizing the message of the gospel and the importance of unity, Paul gives special instructions: “Wives, be subject to your husbands”; “Slaves, obey your earthly masters”; “Children, obey your parents”; “Put on the whole armor of God.”
– Why do you think Paul addressed these specific groups?
– Unlike in other letters, Paul does not address any specific individuals or local issues.
– These verses have been used in bad ways — like to support slavery or abuse. How do we listen to Bible stories that are hard to hear?
– When you imagine “the armor of God” what does it look like?
Hear Pastor Emmy’s “improv” sermon based on questions from the congregation: