Reading for June 18, 2017: Acts 6:1-16, 7:51-8:1 the story of Stephen: service and sacrifice
– The seven chosen to serve are Greek — just like the widows being neglected. What does that tell us about how to respond to the problems of people “not like us”?
– Stephen’s speech in Acts 7:1-50 is a summary of Jewish faith.
– The Jewish council (or “Sanhedrin”) was the highest authority on their religious matters.
– Similar false accusations are made against Jesus — like in Matthew 26:59-61.
– What was the council so afraid of?
– What gifts does Stephen have? What gifts do YOU have?
Audio of “improv sermon” based on questions and thoughts submitted by the congregation!